Client: NYC SCA
Location: HS 670 Health Opportunities High School, Bronx NY
This high school previously had no formal assembly space; an under-utilized and poorly proportioned multi-use area, with an extremely low ceiling, was being used for both gymnasium and assembly functions. This project reconfigured this space into two separate functional spaces that could be used concurrently:
- A fully outfitted combined auditorium / studio space, suitable for aerobics, dance instruction and theatrical performances.
- A commercial grade fitness center, adjacent to the theatrical / studio space.
- Ceiling heights were raised in the auditorium, general lighting was replaced and finishes were provided to both improve the acoustics and enhance the impact resistance of the walls.
- A low stage area with a removable platform, full theatrical lighting, and audio/visual systems were added.
- Mechanical and sprinkler systems were upgraded to accommodate the new layout.
- Scope Report/Schematic Design
- Construction Documents
- Construction Administration
An aggressive schedule through both design and construction required constant monitoring to ensure the design intent was fully executed. Both the owner and end users are greatly pleased with the result.